So today, 2015-10-06, Nutanix released Acropolis Base Software, formerly known as Nutanix Operating System (NOS) version 4.5 and there are some really awesome features included in the release.
- MPIO Access to iSCSI Disks (Windows Guest VMs)
- This means you can run e.g. a fully supported Microsoft Exchange solution on Acropolis Base Software + vSphere. I know quite a lot of potential customers that are interested in this solution.
- Erasure Coding (EC-X) that will further help you to further increase the usable storage capacity of your Nutanix cluster. More information about EC-X can be found in this blog post
- Install minor ESXi patches by using the VMware provided offline bundle and md5 checksum file. Nutanix still lets you upgrade major ESXi versions using the Nutanix JSON file.
- Windows Guest VM Failover Clustering
- Supported on Hyper-V hosts for in-guest VM iSCSI and SCSI 3 Persistent Reservation.
- Virtual Machine High Availability for Acropolis Hypervisor (AHV) based clusters. This will make sure failed VMs, because of an AHV failure, are restarted on available AHV hosts in the AHV cluster.
- Network mappings meaning you can specify a destination network for your disaster recovery protected VMs.
File level restore is available as a tech preview and as always, do not use tech previews in production environments.
Apart from Acropolis Base Software Nutanix also released the following new product versions: